Durable Backup Copy of Corporate Data
In many contemporary organizations data loss is equivalent to a failed company. However not many organizations place a high emphasis on backup data copying.
If an organization decided to establish order in its data and guarantee safe holding, then it should pay attention to the following points:
- The value of data is very high. The cost is much more expensive than the prevetnion and safety measures required.
- Establish a dedicated server if you do not have one (see below).
- If your organization is small (less than 75 employees), and you have not yet had a dedicated server and domain, pay attention to the inexpensive decision from Microsoft: Windows Small Business Server.
- In general, while you purchase licenses for Microsoft network it will be more expensive than for a Linux network. But in the operational process Microsoft net will be cheaper than a Linux network.
- A system administrator does not need to work in your organization for supporting the net on the base of Microsoft, because problems are rare. It is enough, therefore, to appoint one employee to carry out a backup plan, as well as to invite an outside specialist from a technical support service for fault removal.
In general, data may be divided into documents which are kept in file system, and related databases.
If an informational system in your organization works with various types of databases, then pay attention to the following characteristics of RDBMS:
||Microsoft SQL Server
||This is good if you seek inexpensive and flexible RDBMS. Server possesses the majority of functions you may need
||If your organization is small, it is not right for you to establish Oracle. Because Oracle is a very expensive system for large organizations
||Draw attention to the Firebird project. This is effective, reliable and free RDBMS
||Use these RDBMS if your Informational System demands it
|Handiness of backup copying
||You can do quick backup copies every day easily
||The possession of Oracle RDBMS is inconceivable without
a specialist in Oracle DBA
||Under large size of databases these RDBMS are not good for everyday backup copying. Ask your system administrator to write automatic script for making backup copying of RDBMS
||Draw attention to the opportunity of creating in these RDBMS everyday differential or version backup copies, as well as the opportunity of database backup copying without problems|
||It has a valid work rate when using server platform even with basic power. The work rate is scaled well both by purchasing a more expensive server platform and by joining up several servers in a cluster
||The work rate may be high on the base equipment. However, it would better to use this RDBMS for a direct purpose in powerful servers which are serving Informational Systems with a high rate of transactions per day
||Practically, these RDBMS are not scaled. But, for example, on basic equipment they can outstrip their superior competitors on work rate.
||Most cannot compete with the three RDBMS listed here by effectiveness alone. RDBMS MySQL in mode of "without transactions support" is some distance away from other RDBMS. Use MySQL only for non-critical applications. It is related with several known breakdowns accompanied by data loss|
|Size of DB
||It proves itself well on
any size of DB
||Use this RDBMS if you only plan to organize Informational Systems with a database size not less than 50-100 Gb
||These RDBMS prove themselves on not poor databases. If the size of your DB is close to 15 Gb, you should think of migration to another RDBMS
||Usually, the size of these RDBMS ranges from tens of Mbs to several Gbs|
The following backup copying plan proved itself as the most effective:
Every weekend or on Monday a total backup copying of database should be made. For this it should be better to create automatic scripts with a tool "Tasks scheduler of Microsoft Windows" for starting these scripts. The rest of the time it is enough to carry out differential backup copying. Differential backup copying is more convenient than version one, because it lets you restore data much more quickly.
If you have two servers, then you should not make backup copies on the same server as the database is held. The reliability of your data will rise considerably since under loss of the server with the DB of Informational System, you will not lose backup copies.
At the first opportunity burn database backup copies from hard disks to CDs/DVDs. It would be better to make two copies of data since you will use Durable Copy for restoring the database from two damaged disks (see "Durable Backup Copy of Personal Data").
In order to be sure that company documents are being archived regularly apply to your system administrator with a request to make the following settings for your network:
- Unitize the net into a domain with an allotment server domain-controller together with an allotment file-server (desirable).
- Set the group domain politics for personal user folders kept on the file-server (to set "transfer user profiles").
- Switch on shadow copying for a volume that houses the user documents. This will allow automatic support of several versions of the same document.
- Setup an automatic creation of backup copies for user files on the file-server.
In addition, you need to fulfill backup copying of information from the Active Directory tree on a server of domain-controller of your network. This can be done with the aid of standard Windows wizards.
If you are a director, pay attention to the fact that in case of force-majeure you can lose the company office. This will also mean the loss of all backup copies for databases of Informational Systems and company documents. Therefore, it is important to save one backup copy in a lock box out of the office.
(C) KutinSoft. 2004-2010.